Evan’s Home was formerly the site of St. John’s Priory Monastic Settlement, it later became a military barracks. The current building was created by the bequest of Joseph Evans in 1818 as a Servants’ Asylum and continued as a home until the 1980’s. In addition to the refurbishment of the historic building itself, the development delivers a significant new area of public open spaces which include a Children’s Garden, an Archaeological Garden, a Sculpture Garden and a new pedestrian connection from John Street through the site to John’s Quay. There is also a café which integrates an outdoor seating area with views of the neighbouring St. John’s Priory. The transformation of Evan’s Home into the new Butler Gallery is a €6 million project funded by Kilkenny County Council with support of the Department of Culture, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and Fáilte Ireland.